October 2017: All in a Name | Alexander Padgett x 2

The name Alexander means warrior or defender and, while the name itself is relatively common, there are two Alexaders on campus that share more than just a first name. Ten people at Armijo have the first name of Alexander, but only two of those have the last name Padgett.

One of the Alexander Padgetts is a sophomore. He prefers to go by the nickname Alex, a name that his father chose. “Funny enough,” the older Padgett said, “I know of two other Alex Padgetts.” This includes the other one at Armijo as well as the cousin of one of his classmates.

This Padgett has experienced a little confusion among his teachers who tend to share his documents with the one who shares his name and vice versa. If he could choose a different name, it might be David or Christopher, but for now, he stays Alex. This confusion between the names of the two Alexander Padgetts might continue until 2020 when the older one graduates, but then he plans to go to UC Davis or UC Berkeley where he will pursue a degree in the field of science and he might not have to encounter the other Alex Padgett on the chosen campus. For now, he is actively in Leadership as well as being part of Armijo’s wrestling team. He enjoys listening to alternative music and lo-fi.

The other Alexander Padgett is just starting his first year of high school, so he will have to wait three years to claim the name as his very own. Like his counterpart, his name was also chosen by his dad. He did say that there can be some confusion with sharing a name, but he wouldn’t consider changing it. One thing that has happened, for instance, is that his friends have tried emailing him Google Slides and other messages and they have, instead, been sent to the older Padgett. He actually likes his name, though, and does not wish to change it, even if he could.

There’s a chance that the younger Padgett still might encounter the older one in college, as both are considering UC Davis as a destination, but the current freshman is also considering Sac State. While he is not involved in any clubs or sports yet, he does have an interest in hip-hop and rap music, another thing that sets him apart from his sophomore counterpart.