October 2017 Teacher Feature: Ms. Beeson

On Sunday, September 13, The Arty’s 31st Annual Gala was held in Vacaville. Armijo’s drama teacher, Ms. Sheena Beeson, had her two shows last year nominated for 16 awards. While she did not win that night, she still had a good time. “The competition was more competitive,” she said, ”because it used to just be Solano.” This year the event included productions from Napa as well. Ms. Beeson said that she had a wonderful time seeing her students dressed up, and the multiple performances. “It was fun to dress up, celebrate, and get closer with other theatre programs,” she said. She hopes going there inspires the students to understand what a collaborative art theatre is and that we’re all a part of the same goal which is spreading local theatre.”

Ms. Beeson, better known as Ms. B, has been at Armijo since 2014. She teaches drama and runs the Drama Club, but she herself has been performing since she was only three years old. She has been in over 25 shows including Once Upon a Mattress, Into the Woods, Anything Goes and Bye Bye Birdie. Ms. B’s hobbies include performing during the summers, or whenever she can, and voice acting.

In high school she described herself as “awesome” and said that she has never changed. In high school, she was voted “most likely bound for Broadway.” She was the exact same way she is now, but louder.

Ms. B knew by the time she was 20 that she wanted to be a theatre teacher, because she knew she wanted theatre to be a part of her life somehow. She also knew that she didn’t want the busy schedule that actors face. She wanted a reliable daily schedule. She described her job as “a dream come true.

Ms. B came to Armijo because she did her student teaching with Ms. Lisa Davis. This got her more familiar with Armijo and, when there was an opening for theater at Armijo, Ms. Beeson jumped at the chance. Her first impression from the students was that they are funny. Her favorite thing about being at Armijo, though, is that she gets to watch the development of her students in theatre arts. Ms. Beeson is the only staff member in the drama department.

Drama Club meets on Wednesdays at lunch “to handle the business of putting on shows as well as playing improv games and bonding with everyone,” she said. Improv hour is every other Friday after school.