Volunteers Make A Change

Students give back to their community
Students give back to their community
The University of Texas at Dallas

Working for no money? Why on earth would you do that? Let’s take a look at the benefits and rewards of volunteering. 

Students who plan on going to college typically want to stand out. Doing so by participating in things such as sports, band, and clubs. From excellent grades to a variety of extracurriculars, colleges nowadays want a little bit of everything. The numerous opportunities and good effect volunteering has on our community is astonishing. 

Many students volunteer to list it on their college applications. According to Prepory, “They are one of the many factors that college admissions officers look for in an applicant and are often cited as a deciding factor between two equally qualified candidates.” When students volunteer it’s seen as selfless. Colleges want to ensure the people they are letting in are functional members of the community. 

People must volunteer to keep the community running. When organizations start, they don’t always have funding. UC San Diego says, “Volunteering provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local improvements,” and, “The estimated value of a volunteer’s time in California is $26.87 per hour based on the Corporation for National & Community Service.” This shows that not only does your work save money that can help out the community in other ways but also helps grow organizations

As previously mentioned, volunteering as a student will help you catch the eye of the admission office when applying to colleges. By spending your time helping the community, you not only benefit others in need but help your chances of getting accepted into the college you apply to. Colleges love students who find ways to differentiate themselves from other students. Volunteer work isn’t as commonly done as one might think. Students who volunteer have higher chances of getting into the colleges of their choice, feel more selfless, and help grow their communities. If the opportunity comes, you should volunteer and help out your community.