Vuong is at the head of the class

2023 Valedictorian: Sharon Vuong

Four years of dedication pay off for Sharon.

ID Photo

The Class of 2023 has the honor of celebrating Sharon Vuong, this year’s valedictorian.

Vuong said that it feels like all of her hard work for the past four years has been worth it. The title of valedictorian is given to the student who is graduating with the highest grade point average (GPA) and it is influenced by a lot of components, including the level of the classes taken. Honors and International Baccalaureate (IB) classes have more influence on a GPA and that is why students who earn this title in most schools in the United States have taken multiple advanced classes.

For Vuong, the first step to becoming Valedictorian was joining the IB program which taught her how to work hard, to study well, get good grades, and to be high achieving, but it’s not enough to have a high GPA. Vuong was also involved in various extracurricular activities, including badminton and club leadership in Speech & Debate.

“You have to have good study habits early and to be open to asking for help if you are struggling,” said Vuong. She also said that it is also important to find your passion and have a good support system.

Not only does she have to give a speech at graduation, but she also serves as a role model for other students by being a strong leader and to be somebody who empowers others and uplifts others.

Her goal is to become a radiologist and to get there she will study at UC Berkeley because that school will give her a strong basis for her goals. UC Berkeley has great research opportunities and an awesome student body.

Over the years, Vuong has grown in the way she presents herself to others and she feels that she has stepped out of her comfort zone and become part of a group of people who bring out the best of her and they support all of her ambitions.