Job Fair provides opportunities for income

Six Flags is one of many companies represented at the event.

Armijo’s Job Fair that was held in the library quad area after school on Wednesday, May 10 was a great success. Job recruiters from the cities of Suisun and Fairfield and from businesses like Paradise Valley Estates, Six Flags, Fed Ex, and Scandia were available and looking for summer workers and beyond. There were even representatives from the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District (FSUSD) offices, seeking employees.

Each business or company had a stand with different items, such as sunglasses, fliers, and even candy that they shared with potential job seekers. Some of them had a paper where students could leave contact information for future interviews.

The employers were pleased with the amount of students who applied on the spot. There was even a former Armijo student who is now working with the City of Fairfield recruiting current students and future graduates.

Not all jobs were filled at the Job Fair and students are encouraged to check in with Ms. Sandy Anderson, College & Career adviser, or on the companies’ websites to find the links to apply. Some jobs have age restrictions that start at 16-years or 18-years, but other businesses are able to employ younger teens. Six Flags, for example, hires teens as young as 15-years old.

Having a job can be a good experience. It could help develop good skills for life; it can provide money for future events and expenses. Working during the summer is an easy way to get financially ahead without falling educationally behind. What are you waiting for?