The best school for education majors

College Focus – Vanderbilt University

Photo by Lee Lawson on Unsplash

These majestic buildings have housed education majors for many years.

Are you in the search for a college that offers an excellent level of education? Maybe one that is private and out-of-state? Or maybe you are interested in looking for a college that is known for being the best school for education majors? Then this might be the correct college for you!

Vanderbilt University is a private research university, founded in 1873, that is located in Nashville, Tennessee. Vanderbilt is composed of 10 schools, four undergraduate and six graduate. The university offers around 70 majors, all divided among the schools, which include the College of Arts and Science, the School of Engineering, Peabody College of Education and Human Development, and Blair School of Music. For more information, visit: www.vanderbilt.edu/.

As mentioned above, Vanderbilt University is considered one of the best schools for education majors. For example, Vanderbilt offers two majors that are concentrated in the educational system, called “Secondary Education” and “Special Education”. According to their website, the Secondary Education majorprepares students to teach English, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, or the Social Sciences at the secondary school level (grades 7-12). Students complete Liberal Education Core Requirements, the Secondary Education Major, and an Arts and Science major in at least one endorsement field. Secondary Education majors may add an additional endorsement, in any of the above content areas, with appropriate course work. Each endorsement field involves 27-36 hours of coursework in the discipline, plus additional field work applying theory into practice.”

On the other hand, the Special Education major focuses on preparing students to work with people with disabilities, with this course leading to teacher licensure. Students will be able to pursue an interdisciplinary major in exceptional learning, however they will be able to choose their specialty area (threeoffered: High Incidence Disabilities, K-8 and/or 6-12, or Multiple and Severe Disabilities).

Another point to highlight is that the Special Education major can be combined with other majors of the same nature, such as Cognitive Studies, Child Studies, etc.

According to US News, Vanderbilt University has an acceptance rate of 7%, which is very selective. Around half of the applicants had an SAT score between 1480 and 1570, as well as an ACT score between 34 and 35. A student’s GPA is a very important factor for the admissions officials, as well as high school class rank and letters of recommendation. The application deadline is January 1st, with an application fee of $50.

Tuition here at Vanderbilt University runs about $60,000. This cost includes both tuition and fees, also known as the sticker price, however it is critical that you keep in mind the additional cost of room and board, books and supplies, technology resources, student centers, transportation and personal expenses.But don’t feel overwhelmed! Financial aid is available for students, which can come in the form of student grants, loans, and scholarships. You can fill out the FAFSA form, which opens every October 1st, and is recommended by many experts, as every year, thousands of dollars are being unclaimed by students. But make sure to fill it out as soon as possible, as it is first come, first serve!

Some of the most notable alumni from Vanderbilt University include American author James Patterson, American fashion model and actress Molly Sims, American politician, attorney, and actor Fred Dalton Thompson, and American singer-songwriter Rosanne Cash.