Study planets, stars, and galaxies

College Focus – UC Santa Cruz

Igor Kovalchuk

Look to the heavens for your educational inspiration.

Are you looking for a college that is in California, near the beach, perhaps near Monterey Bay? Maybe one that has a strong, interdisciplinary astronomy program? Then this is the place for you!

UC Santa Cruz is a public land-grant research university that is located in Santa Cruz, and is a part of the UC school system. It was founded in 1965, originally with the goal of presenting a progressive and cross-disciplinary undergraduate education. The scenery here at UCSC is very beautiful as the college is surrounded by forested hills that overlook the Pacific Ocean, and there is a lot of wildlife here. UC Santa Cruz has five academic divisions: arts, engineering, humanities, physical & biological sciences, and social sciences. In summary, they offer 65 undergraduate majors, 43 minors, and 65 graduate programs. For more information, visit: www.ucsc.edu/.

At UC Santa Cruz, there are many programs that are offered in almost any academic field you can think of, from cognitive sciences and plant sciences to environmental studies and legal studies. However, the focus today will be on the astronomy program offered here, also known as the astrophysics major, which according to their website, studies the “planets, stars, galaxies, and an ever-increasing variety of phenomena observed from ground- and space-based observatories…Areas of special interest at UC Santa Cruz include cosmology, the formation and evolution of stars and galaxies, high-energy astrophysics, active galaxies, supernovae and nucleosynthesis, the motions of stars and galaxies, and all aspects of observational optical and infrared astronomy.”

Many branches of modern physics are applied in astronomy, such as mechanics, relativity, atomic and nuclear physics, applied mathematics, etc. The study of astronomy in connection to historical and philosophical elements will be very beneficial for those who plan to pursue a career in this area due to its interdisciplinary nature.

According to US News, the acceptance rate for UC Santa Cruz is 59%, which is somewhat selective. SAT/ACT scores are not required to be submitted for admission, however a student’s GPA is a very important academic factor. A student’s high school class rank or letters of recommendation are not considered by admissions officials in the selection process at UCSC. The application deadline was November 30, with an application fee of $70.

In-state-tuition is approximately $14,600, with out-of-state tuition at $45,600. This cost includes both tuition and fees, also known as the sticker price, however it is critical that you keep in mind the additional cost of room and board, books and supplies, technology resources, student centers, transportation and personal expenses. But don’t feel overwhelmed! Financial aid is available for students, which can come in the form of student grants, loans, and scholarships. You can fill out the FAFSA form, which opens every October 1st, and is recommended by many experts, as every year, thousands of dollars are being unclaimed by students. But make sure to fill it out as soon as possible, as it is first come, first serve!

Some of the most notable alumni from UC Santa Cruz include American actress Maya Rudolph, African American revolutionary and political activist Huey Newton, American conductor and opera administrator Kent Nagano, and American journalist, writer, and teacher Dana Priest.