Oldest sister ends a legacy

Sibling Spotlight – Kaylen & Melanie Alexander

After four years as a Royal, Kayla-Ann is ready to leave her sister behind.

ID Photo

Kayla-Ann Alexander and her sister Melanie they have a lot in common, but they don’t hang out much together at school.

Kayla-Ann is a senior and, when she’s on campus, she would rather hang out with her friends than with her younger sister, who is only a sophomore. She also likes to read, listen to music, and bake.

While she is hoping to major in Criminal Justice and Psychology in college, eventually moving to Washington DC, Kayla-Ann still sees a lot of good reasons to like her time in high school. She said that she really likes how Armijo offers a lot of art electives, and she should know. She’s been a student at Armijo since her freshman year, even though that year was cut short because of COVID and her sophomore year on campus was almost non-existent.

Younger sister Melanie is making her own way on campus. (Ronald Salas Solomon)

Because her class missed so many opportunities, Kayla-Ann is trying to take advantage of those she has as a senior. She’s looking forward to prom and said that she would like to see future seniors not be lazy in their schooling and not fall behind. “Make sure you understand the work you’re getting taught,” she said.

This advice is worthwhile to the general school population, but especially to her younger sister and her younger brother Landon. While she prefers to spend time with her friends on campus, when she’s at home, she’ll join her siblings as they watch movies, paint, and bake with each other.

As the oldest in her family, Kayla sometimes has “big sister” duties, and sometimes her younger siblings don’t like being told what to do, but they love each other in spite of that and have each other’s back.