FSUSD Governing Board hears from students regarding sustainability

Even+young+people+have+something+to+say+about+environmental+sustainability.+

Even young people have something to say about environmental sustainability.

Fairfield, CA – On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at the regular meeting of the FSUSD Governing Board, a group of Suisun Valley Elementary School students delivered a presentation regarding sustainability titled ‘Why Sustainability?’.

The presenters were a group of seventeen students ranging from first to eighth grade. The students were joined by Suisun Valley K-8 Agri-science teacher, Heather Merodio, and Suisun Valley principal, Jas Bains Wright.

Topics of the presentation included ways for school sites to use more sustainable practices, examples of current practices on which to improve, and an explanation of why sustainability is important. One example provided was that savings from sustainability efforts could be used to provide educational field trips for students.  Having better habits would not only benefit the environment but could also provide additional learning opportunities.

Sustainability is not a new practice for the students at Suisun Valley. Earlier this year, they received the federal recognition award of ‘U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School.”

Suisun Valley Elementary School shows excellence in resource efficiency, health and wellness, and environmental and sustainability education. The school has established many collaborative partnerships with local farmers, farm stands, and non-profit agencies. As a result, the school’s environment allows students to learn from hands-on activities in the agriscience program.

“Our students are so well-informed and did an excellent job presenting to the Governing Board and community,” expressed Superintendent Kris Corey.  “It is always important to hear from our students.  Their well-planned presentation was executed in a way that highlighted the work happening on their campus and also stressed the importance that sustainability is everyone’s responsibility.”

After the presentation on sustainability, members of the Governing Board had the opportunity to ask the presenters questions about sustainable practices and expressed their appreciation to the students for the presentation.