Introducing Armijo’s ETS Program Adviser

Mr. Cayabyab was a veterinary assistant before being a program advisor for ETS

Mr. Mark Cayabyab has a program advisor for Educational Talent Search (ETS) for just a short time, but he’s ready to help students in many ways. “As a program advisor, I provide individual advising, present informative workshops, and create opportunities for students to expand their knowledge of higher education,” he said.

“During my undergrad at UC Davis, I served as a peer advisor at the Internship and Career Center where I advised undergraduate students in job search, resume writing, and interview preparation.”

While he is currently focused on success for high school students, he does it because of the challenges he faced in college. “I had a very difficult time in college and I learned so much about overcoming obstacles in higher education,” he said.” I wanted a job where I can help students who are similar to me and I wanted to give back to UC Davis.”

Mr. Cayabyab would encourage students to join ETS and take advantage of the opportunity for success in high school. “I wish I had joined ETS in high school because I would have avoided many pitfalls in my senior year like not applying for financial aid,” he said.

He would hope students would benefit from their experience in ETS, but overall he wants them to take pride in their successes. “Never apologize for your success,” he said. “It takes too much hard work and sacrifice to get things you want. Please don’t dim your light for someone else’s ego. The elevator to success is broken thus you must take the stairs.”

Mr. Cayabyab is actively recruiting for ETS this semester. “I am here at Armijo every Tuesdays and Thursdays in the library,” he said. “If students are interested in joining ETS, they can pick up an application in the library and turn in once completed to the library staff.”

Being a program adviser for ETS isn’t Mr. Cayabyab’s first job, though. “Before becoming a program advisor for ETS, I worked as a veterinary assistant in various veterinary settings,” he said. Mr. Cayabyab served in this position in private practice, a research facility, and a teaching hospital. “As a veterinary assistant, I helped veterinary technicians and veterinarians carry out diagnostic procedures and surgeries for a wide variety of animals. For example, I have worked with a range of animals from dogs and cats to tigers and sea turtles.”

His interest in veterinary medicine is connected to his minor at UC Davis. His bachelor’s is in Asian American Studies, but he also had a minor in Wildlife, Fish, and Conservation Biology from the University of California, Davis.

Nature continues to be a focus for Mr. Cayabyab. “I wish there were more trees in Armijo because it can get very hot in the spring and the summer, so a nice shaded walkway to the library would be amazing,” he said.

While his career focus has changed, his hobbies have not. “I like to spend time with friends and family,” he said. “You can usually find me in the kitchen where I like to cook Filipino food. I like to see live theater and learn more about my culture through festivals.”

Because of his own background, Mr. Cayabyab can relate to many of the students at Armijo. “My parents emigrated from the Philippines and are now retired after a career in health care,” he said. “I have one older brother who does freelance photography and video work in the Bay Area. I have 16 first cousins and 11 nieces and nephews. We usually have at least one huge celebration once a year to catch up and Christmas is a big deal in my family.”