COVID-19 Student Mask Mandate Update

"Coronavirus Surgical Masks" by danielfoster437 is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0

As of March 14, masks become optional in California.

At 11 am Monday, February 28, the Office of Governor Gavin Newsom released the following joint press release with the Governors of Oregon and Washington: Governors Newsom, Brown and Inslee Announce Updated Health Guidance. Pursuant to the joint press release, effective Monday, March 14, 2022, students, regardless of vaccination status, will no longer be required to wear masks in school and instead will be strongly encouraged to do so. The subsequent press conference from Dr. Mark Ghaly, California’s COVID-19 Response February 28, 2022, has been linked for convenience.

In the meantime, FSUSD is required to adhere to current masking requirements from the California Department of Public Health, for students, in indoor school settings. Employees must continue to adhere to Cal/OSHA masking requirements. We anticipate an update from Cal/OSHA and expect the update to align with CDPH guidance and school masking requirements.

On Tuesday afternoon, March 1, Ms. Angie Avlonitis, Executive Director of the Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District, shared an email that clarified some of the decisions and recommendations, including responses to some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs). 

“California Governor Gavin Newsom issued an executive order suspending Cal/OSHA Emergency Temporary Standards (ETS) related to masking. Linked for your convenience is Executive Order 2.28.22-ETS-EO.pdf. The following was suspended for all employees:

6) Face coverings.

(A) For all employees who are not fully vaccinated, employers shall provide face coverings and ensure they are worn when indoors or in vehicles.

Questions and Answers:

1. What does this mean for school sites? This means masking is optional for employees after March 11, 2022, and masking is strongly recommended indoors for both vaccinated and unvaccinated employees.

1. What does this mean for Central Office Locations? This means masking is optional at Central Office locations effective March 1, 2022, and masking is strongly recommended indoors for both vaccinated and unvaccinated employees.

1. Do classroom volunteers, parents coming onto campus need to wear face masks? Effective March 14, 2022, persons on school sites (students, staff, volunteers, parents, etc) have the option and are strongly encouraged to wear masks indoors, particularly in group settings, but not mandated. Volunteers on campus must continue to meet the weekly testing requirement.

1. Do persons (students, staff, parents) need to wear face masks at Central Office locations including at Board meetings? Effective March 1, 2022, persons are not required to wear masks at Central Office locations.

1. When can masking signage be removed from Central Office locations? Immediately

2. When can masking signage be removed from school sites? March 11, 2022 (after 11:59pm)

3. Do spectators have to wear masks at indoor athletic events? Per Solano Public Health, no, masks are strongly recommended.

Please contact Ms. Avlonitis at (707) 399-4323 if you have questions!