All-Women’s colleges still exist in California

College Focus: Scripps College

https://www.scrippscollege.edu/

These hallowed halls have a woman’s touch.

Are you in the search for an all-women’s college, one that is focused on the liberal arts? Then this is precisely the place you were looking for. Scripps College is located in Southern California in Claremont, 30 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. It was founded as a member of the Claremont Colleges in 1926 and was given its initial endowment by journalist and philanthropist Ellen Browning Scripps.

Scripps College is a four-year undergraduate institution that offers instruction in the liberal arts, with an emphasis on the humanities, and is known for its rigorous interdisciplinary curriculum. According to the Scripps College website, “An internationally recognized leader in women’s liberal arts education, Scripps offers a rigorous interdisciplinary curriculum, a robust intellectual community, a commitment to diversity and inclusion, and a rich residential experience designed to shape the next generation of leaders.”

Scripps College offers more than 65 majors, with some of the most popular being biology, social sciences, psychology, environmental science, and English, but there are many more to choose from.

According to U.S. News, the acceptance rate for Scripps College is around 35%, which is more selective than the average institution. Additionally, around half of the applicants had an SAT score between 1320 and 1480, as well as an ACT score between 29 and 33. The student’s GPA is something they rank high during the process, as well as class rank and letters of recommendation.

The application deadline was January 5, but don’t let that discourage you. If you missed it this year, you can share this information with an underclassman you know that might be interested, or you can mark your calendar to be better prepared for next year. The application fee is $60.

Scripps College is widely regarded as the most prestigious women’s college in the American West, and is in the highest ranks. It is ranked #30 in National Liberal Arts Colleges and #29 in Best Undergraduate Teaching. Tuition for Scripps College can be high, just under $60,000. Keep in mind the cost of tuition and fees, as well as the cost of room and board, books and supplies, transportation and personal expenses. But financial aid is available for students, which can come in the form of student grants, loans, and scholarships. You can also fill out the FAFSA form, which is recommended by many experts, as every year, thousands of dollars are being unclaimed by students.

Some of the most notable alumni of Scripps College include American retired politician Gabrielle Giffords, artist Elizabeth Turk, United States District Judge Judith Keep, and American newspaper columnist Molly Ivins.