Knowledge of cultures gives club members an edge

Club focus – International Club

Travel the world in an Armijo classroom.

In a world like ours, it is most important to honor and respect those around us. The best way to do that is to become familiar with different cultures and Armijo’s International Club is one way to be introduced to people from around the world, even when we are meeting on Armijo’s campus and seeing beyond our community.

Ms. Walling-Sisi is the adviser and has promoted a club where students are welcome. While some of the members have actually been born and raised outside of the United States, within the club students can also learn about different cultures, expressing themselves, and learning about new things.

¨The students in the International Club perceive their own multicultural and ethnic backgrounds as valuable and worthy of sharing with their classmates, teachers, and community,” said Ms. Walling-Sisi in 2020. “The club is open to anyone who is interested in sharing and learning about different cultures, languages and lifestyles.”

The club has promoted a knowledge of multiple languages because language is one of the gateways to understanding other cultures.

The International Club works hard to raise awareness of multiculturalism. If the pandemic doesn’t prevent it in May, students will probably be gathering for the club’s biggest event for the year, International Week. This has been an annual event for a couple of decades and is usually held the first week of the month.