Tuberculosis case confirmed at Armijo High School

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2016/infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/tuberculosis

According to the Center for Disease Control website, TB cases in North America are relatively unusual.

On Thursday, February 16, the local media gave an official press release that Armijo High School is under investigation by the Solano County Public Health Department due to the confirmation of an active pulmonary tuberculosis case. Letters to parents were immediately sent out.

Commonly called TB, tuberculosis is a serious but treatable bacterial disease that usually affects the lungs. The bacteria could spread to other areas of the body, such as the brain, kidneys, and spine. Transmission of TB occurs when an infected person sneezes or coughs and another person inhales the water droplets that contain the bacteria.

Although TB is moderately contagious, the individual who has TB is temporarily removed from school and being treated, and no other student has been diagnosed. Those who were in close contact to the infected student are being questioned further and may be tested. Michael Stacey MD, MPH, the Deputy Health Officer and TB Controller for Solano County Health and Social Services, said, according to KRON 4 News, “We want to reassure everyone that there is no ongoing risk of TB infection from the active TB case at this time. Parents and guardians are encouraged to send their children to school and staff should report to work as usual.”

The County Public Health Department is working diligently on the matter, but some students still have concerns. Andrew Saghir said, “I know tuberculosis is a contagious disease and we’re always stuffed into classrooms, so it is worrying that a student had it. It could have spread easily.”

Galen Kimball said that he doesn’t think we’re in the position to have valid emotions about the situation.

Even though many are concerned about catching TB and there have been sightings of students wearing masks, a considerable portion of the Armijo population feels that the case isn’t so serious. Jasmine Reyes said “I don’t feel worried because tuberculosis is not such a big problem since we have vaccines and antibiotics for it. The problem is kind of overexaggerated. I think this is just an introduction of how we’re getting into the flu season, so people should wash their hands and be healthy.”

Going on the same page, Julie Smith said “I don’t know, I mean tuberculosis isn’t that big of a deal. It is highly contagious but there is treatment for it so I honestly didn’t get too freaked out by it.”

The Armijo community and Principal Eric Tretten are cooperating with officials to solve this public health dilemma. The administration does understand that there is still concern and confusion, so they did hold an informational meeting with a question and answer session on Tuesday, February 21 from 6:30 to 7:30 pm. An information line about TB is always available at (707) 784-8001, set up by Solano County Public Health.

*CORRECTION: Earlier in the story we mistakenly referred to “the student who has TB.” Since the identity of the individual has not been revealed, we are unaware if the individual is a student or someone else on campus. The Armijo Signal staff apologizes for the error.