College focus: Holy moly, it’s Cal Poly!

Wikipedia Commons

Old horse stables clean up nicely to provide usable space for students.

California Polytechnic State University  is a public university located in two locations, San Luis Obispo and Pomona. From 2015 tuition at this college was $9,000 per year. For sports lovers or players out there Cal Poly offers different sports to students. They have sports such as Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Soccer, and other sports available. Some potential students might be interested in this college and in, order to get in, students need to score at least 1320 on the SAT or 30 on the ACT.

Several teachers attended Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, including Mr. John Stenger, Ms. Lori Rockwell and Mr. Carly Perales, but Mr. Art Aronsen can share first-hand experiences and knowledge about Cal Poly Pomona where he attended.

Mr. Aronsen decided to go to Cal Poly because he originally wanted to be a veterinarian and the school had a pre-veterinary program. When he thought that Biochemistry wasn’t much of his thing, he realized a veterinarian wasn’t much of his favorite either. He then worked in quality control with things such as floppy disks and computers. He predicted that these things wouldn’t last, though, so he went back to school to learn more and, in doing so, he earned his different degrees and is now a chemistry teacher.

What Mr. Aronsen found different in Cal Poly is that they have a motto, “Learn By Doing.” That means that students acquire knowledge not as much through lecture as through actually doing. Every class Mr. Aronsen worked in involved him physically doing something instead of theoretically doing something. He believes that everyone should get as much education as they can, and learning by doing is an advantage.

Mr. Aronsen shared that, when he was studying at Cal Poly, there was a student who was blind. The way some students  learned was by sticking their books to their nose to read and this student had special challenges. What Mr.Aronsen saw was someone who faced his challenges, and that’s what Mr.Aronsen thinks every student should do. His advice he gives to students is to get as much education as they can in high school so in college you’re able to go to a higher place.