After a Bachelor’s, where will you go?

College Focus – BYU, Provo

Wikipedia

BYU sets a strong foundation for marriage and family counseling.

Are you interested in pursuing a job as a therapist? Brigham Young University (BYU) in Provo, Utah has a program that will help you achieve that dream in only two years after you earn your Bachelor’s Degree.

The Marriage and Family Therapy program offers the Master of Science degree as a two-year program, and students who want to pursue the career in depth can apply to the PhD. program. Those who are pursuing the PhD should take the clinical path, upon the advice of their adviser, but those who are looking only into the Masters can study in the research path.

As BYU is a school based on the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, they are distinctly focused on developing graduates “balanced development in all student growth areas.  This development is carried out in an environment of compassion, inclusion and diversity in order to prepare students to be a healing influence in a world struggling to create safe and meaningful relationships” (Grad Studies). That goal is reflected in their programs.

The website for the program shares this information about the admission expectations and ideals:

1. To intellectually enlarge.
  2. To spiritually strengthen.
  3. To build character.
  4. Capacity for lifelong service and learning.
  5. Enriched Learning environment.

Students who feel that they want to pursue a career in this field will first need to complete a Bachelor’s degree, but for those who plan into the future – their own and the families that they would like to influence and encourage – it is never too early to start planning for the proper education.