Celebrate the West art contest

Art Work due by April 30

Celebrate the West art contest

The Western Governors’ Foundation is proud to announce the 2021 Celebrate the West regional art competition that challenges high school students to create works inspired by their state.

The visual arts challenge is open to high school students in the 17 Western states and three U.S. territories whose governors participate in the bipartisan Western Governors’ Association (WGA).

Entrants will create original two-dimensional artwork inspired by their state or informed by living in the West. Students may draw ideas from a variety of sources, including state history, landmarks, natural resources, National Parks and Monuments, people, communities, and culture.

“Original artwork” is defined as artwork which is unique in concept, design, and execution, and is created directly and personally by the Student. “Original” work is NOT a copy or imitation of another person’s work or images found on the internet.

In brief, here’s how Celebrate the West works:

Students will submit a digital copy of their entry via email ([email protected]) by April 30, 2021 (multiple entries are allowed). Entries may be scanned, a digital photo, etc. WGA staff and Denver area art experts will select Winners from each state and territory. No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win.

The State Winners will be displayed in an online competition in conjunction with this year’s WGA Annual Meeting and compete for First ($1,500), Second ($750), and Third Place ($500) Awards voted on by meeting attendees, which include governors and their staff, and WGA sponsors. State Winners will receive $200.

Students may have the opportunity to have their artwork displayed in their home state’s capitol building and meet with their governor, subject to scheduling and availability.

Celebrate the West is open to high school students from Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Northern Mariana Islands, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.

Students: You must read the Rules carefully before entering! Go to https://westgov.org/celebrate-the-west/competition/2021-competition to download the entry form and rules. Have a question? Ready to enter? Email [email protected] for answers to any questions.