Letter shared about AHS Sports

Image by Steve Buissinne from Pixabay

Letter provides information for student athletes and their families.

Good Afternoon Armijo Royals Families, 

The safety and well-being of our students and staff is our top priority. As we consider return to play options (including the gradual tiered re-opening of school athletics), we must adhere to guidance from the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and Cal/OSHA on mitigating the spread of COVID-19. The Fairfield-Suisun Unified School District has worked diligently to ensure the most up to date guidance is being implemented.  

California Department of Public Health (CDPH)

On December 14, 2020, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) updated Youth Sports Guidance previously provided on August 3, 2020. For additional information related to the update, please review the link below. 

Link: California Department of Public Health Guidance

California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) Sac-Joaquin Section (SJS) 

On Tuesday, January 26, 2021, the Sac-Joaquin Section Board of Managers passed (and the SJS Executive Committee subsequently approved) the updated 2020-21 SJS Sports Calendar. For additional information related to the update, including CIF COVID-19 modifications, please review the links below.

Link: CIF Sac-Joaquin Section Update: January 26th

Link: CIF-CDPH Color Tier for Sports 

Link: CIF COVID-19 Safe Sports Modifications  

Monticello Empire League (MEL) Schedule of Games

Provided the CIF Sac-Joaquin’s ruling on January 26, 2021, the MEL developed seasons of sport calendars (for all sports offered) for its league members. As of February 1, 2021, Armijo High School plans on competing in MEL matches and competitions as long as CDPH tiered requirements are met and adhered to. There will be no Sac-Joaquin Section playoffs for any sport for the 2020-21 school year. For additional information related to MEL seasons of sport calendars, please see the link below. 

Link: Armijo Seasons of Sport 

Athletic Clearance 

Every student participating in athletics (pre-season conditioning, tryouts, practices, or contests) must be cleared by AHS Athletics. As a part of the clearance process, athletes are required to have a yearly physical from a qualified physician one time per school year and register for athletic clearance. The physical must be current for the duration of the season of sport.  Please follow the directions below to complete the online clearance process. 

The Sports Physical Form MUST be stamped, signed and dated by the Doctor’s Office (MD or DO only), no business cards are accepted, no exceptions.

Link: Armijo Athletics Clearance Slides 

Link: Armijo Sports Physical Form 

Link: “Return to Sports” Survey Agreement 

*Return to Sports Survey contains links to FSUSD/Armijo CAL/OSHA Safety Plan.

**Please do not email, fax or drop off forms to the Athletic Secretary. Coaches do not collect student physicals.  All forms must be uploaded.

Sports Cohorts, Club Sports, and Multi-Sport Athletes:

The CDPH guidance states, “Athletes and coaches should cohort by team, and refrain from participating with more than one team over the same season or time period.”

In response to the aforementioned CDPH guidance,  the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) reinstated Bylaw 600, which does not permit for multi-team participation on a high school team and/or outside organization team during the same season. Athletes need to consider carefully what sport they want to participate in during the upcoming season. There may be circumstances where two FSUSD sports overlap. Likewise, there may be times where an FSUSD sport and a (non-FSUSD) club sport operated by an outside organization overlap. In order to comply with the guidance, students are not permitted to participate in any club sport while participating on an FSUSD team.  For additional information, please see the link below.

Link: Press Release 

Transportation:

• FSUSD will provide safe transportation for student-athletes. 
  • Families may drive their own student(s) to and from the athletic contest(s) and shall communicate this with the coach.
  • Families are only permitted to drive their own student(s).
  • All students using district provided transportation must wear a face covering at all times while on the bus. 

“Face covering” means a tightly woven fabric or non-woven material with no visible holes or openings, which covers the nose and mouth.

• Athletes should be separated by at least 4 feet from each other and at least 6 feet from the adult staff member(s). 
  • Eating/drinking is not permitted on the bus.
  • Passengers should handle their own personal belongings during pick-up and drop-off.
  • Students should wash or sanitize their hands according to guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Spectators for Athletic Contests:

• All on campus school sport practices will be closed to observers.  
  • While the County is in the Purple Tier, spectators (i.e., band, cheer) are not permitted.
  • When a County progresses to the Red Tier, spectators for all sport competitions will be permitted, the MEL league agreed to the  the following criteria:  
  1. Two immediate household members.
  2. Are able to stay at least 6 feet from non-household members and wear face coverings at all times, reduce potential crowding, and maintain indoor and outdoor capacity limits allowed by Tiers.
  • High School Athletic Departments will not charge admission for athletic events, with the exception of Football.
  • Schools hosting athletic events will have the option to Live Stream events.  If the host school does not Live Stream the event, the visiting school may do so.
  • Spectators must stay at least 6 feet from non-household members and wear face coverings at all times.

Questions:

With the release of this information, we anticipate our families may have additional questions, in turn, we provided a link with some frequently asked questions (FAQs): Athletic FAQs 

If you have additional questions, please contact:

Assistant Principal – Brad Burzynski – [email protected] 

Athletic Director – Melissa Wilson – [email protected]