The power behind the pen

Myrel Catacutan ('16)

A dedicated student, Paige makes sure that other students are in the know.

Passion comes a long way. In all the things we love to do, it is important to be passionate. For ASB Secretary Paige Baker, passion is definitely what she embodies. Even though Baker’s title is secretary, she shares the same responsibilities as her fellow ASB officers and she plays a large role in running the leadership class. So far this year, Baker has run the committees that put on the School Social and the Community Holiday event. She is even going to do homecoming for basketball.

Since freshmen year, Baker has been a part of the leadership program. From the start, she expressed interest in becoming an ASB officer one day. Baker said, “I saw the connections the officers made and what they did for everyone. I grew to love and appreciate all the great things we do.” As an ASB officer now, she continued, “I want us to keep doing great things and I want to be a part of that.”

Being an officer is a huge responsibility, but it has helped Baker grow as a leader in big ways. When asked what her favorite thing about being an officer was, she said, “The fact that I know so many people now. If you knew me in middle school, I was super shy. Leadership changed me, for the better.” So far, Baker’s favorite event that she has run is Community Holiday. She expressed much enthusiasm and love for the event, which gives back to underprivileged kids in the community.

Not only is Baker a key part of the leadership program, but she is involved. in other activities as well. For all 4 years of high school. Baker has run cross country and track. This upcoming track season in the spring will be her last time running for Armijo. Baker also has a love for hula dancing. She has been doing hula for the past 6 years. Reading is one of the things she enjoys. Her favorite books series is the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. “When I rarely have free time, I like to read or watch movies. Normal stuff, “ she said with a laugh.

Out of all four years, Baker’s prominent high school memories are in the Armijo Gym early in the morning, as part of the leadership program. After being asked about her highlights of high school, Baker said, “Making some of my best friends in leadership and working with them to do something fun on a daily basis.” Even though the school year is halfway over, Baker is looking forward to the many more adventures and memories that the rest of the year has in store.