Transgenders set to lose rights in school sports

Governments are considering rights for transgenders in sports.

Over the past years, the rights of transgender students have been changing. These new rules and rights are affecting school culture, especially in sports. Different states have considered bills to make these changes move effective, influencing the sports fields and courts.

In Arizona, House Bill 2706 passed their House of Representatives banning transgender girl athletes from participating on female sports teams. If approved, the ban would apply to public and private schools and even community colleges and universities throughout Arizona. Transgender athletes would need a genetic test done to prove their gender. Although it will take time for the bill to get voted on but time will tell if it actually takes action.

In addition, Idaho’s Governor Brad Little signed two bills at the end of March that limit the rights of transgenders into into law. The first, HB509, forbid transgenders from changing the gender marker on their birth certificates in Idaho. The second, HB500, is like the Arizona bill and Governor Little also signed that into law. This bill bans transgender women and girls to participate in sponsored sports in public schools, community colleges, and universities, meaning girls and women sports teams would not be open to students who were born male but now identify as female. This is a very similar bill to the one in Arizona.

“I disagree on transgenders being banned from high school sports because they’re regular people, just like us and other students, so they should have equal opportunities to do high school activities just like student who are not transgender,” said Melanie Mataban.

Melissa Theodorus agreed. “I think transgenders should not be banned from any high school sports,” she said. “No one should be stopped from doing what they want because of their gender. Although it may be a difficult process, I believe an agreement and compromise can be sorted out.”