Bunnies and their birthdays won’t happen again for 73 years

Easter is one of those holidays that moves based on the vernal equinox rather than on the traditional calendar. This year it is on Sunday, April 12. The last time it fell on this date was in 2009, but it won’t happen again until 2093. That means this is the last time that these five students will get to share their birthday with the holiday for a very long time.

Freshman Jeimy Alvarez Castillo said that she would probably prefer her birthday to be in January, although she said that she does share her birthday with one of her teachers.

Sophomore Thomas Purtill said that he does not know anyone else who shares his birthday. While his birthday will fall on Easter this year, only the second time in his lifetime, he does have some traditions that he likes to keep. “Usually I like to spend time with my two best friends and family, he said. On my birthday, I’m with my family and friends and we eat cake.” Having his birthday fall on Easter won’t necessarily affect this year’s event. “My family doesn’t celebrate Easter,” he said. “I don’t think we’re going to be doing an Easter egg hunt so probably we’re going celebrate my birthday. We already have plans for ping-pong.”

Harley Erwin is another sophomore who’s birthday falls on Easter this year. He said that he probably is not planning on celebrating, so he’s not worried about the dates lining up. Usually, he said, he doesn’t do much for his birthday.

Another sophomore celebrating her birthday on Easter Sunday is Imari Holmes and she’s happy to acknowledge it. “I get to share [my birthday} with Jesus this year,” she said. She said that she planned on spending time with her family for her birthday, but if she could choose a different time of year, she would want a June birthday. While she may not spend the actual day with her friends, she did make plans for a big birthday party with her friends. “”I’m having {a big party} this year and it was hard {to plan}, she said.

Since Easter moves around on the calendar, sophomore Gabriel Mendieta didn’t even know that he would be sharing his birthday with that date, but he wouldn’t want to celebrate it on any other date. “I would keep it in April because April is a month after my sister’s birthday so it can be a little more convenient,he said. He also said that he likes eat cake on his birthday, and that’s the one thing he hopes to do.