2020 VEX Robotics World Championship Cancelled

Even the best robots these six could make couldn’t prevent the cancellation caused by COVID-19.

It’s been a rough road for the 2019-2020 Robotics team. The first team was able to compete, they went to Bakersfield for the March 7 competition.  The students who competed in Bakersfield were Kaleb Ugalde, William Lipayan, Flora Wan and Faustina Wan.

The second team, however, was not as the March 14 San Jose competition was canceled.   The students from the team that could not compete are Jon Siy and Harjot Multani.

Effective 8:00 p.m. EDT, March 12, 2020

To the VEX Robotics Community,

After thoughtful consideration and with the guidance of the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control, and local and state health officials, the Robotics Education & Competition (REC) Foundation and VEX Robotics have made the decision to cancel the 2020 VEX Robotics World Championship due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. We share this unfortunate news with a heavy heart but unfortunately there is no other acceptable alternative to proceed with the event, as the health and safety of our community is our top priority.

We recognize every team, parent, mentor, coach and volunteer for their steadfast commitment and passion this season to help advance STEM education and robotics around the globe. As we endure these unprecedented circumstances together, our mission to continually engage students around the globe with hands-on, affordable and sustainable robotics engineering programs will not waver.

Although we will not be having a World Championship event this year, we will continue to support our dedicated community of nearly 1 million students worldwide. We will refund all paid registration fees for the 2020 VEX Robotics World Championship and will be sending information on the process soon.

In the meantime, we encourage you to follow the health and safety precautions as recommended by the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and local and state officials to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Please feel free to email us at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Sincerely,

Dan Mantz
CEO & Chairman of the Board
Robotics Education & Competition (REC) Foundation