Due to COVID-19, AHS’s Silent Disco goes silent for 2020

It was going to be a day to remember, but the memories of Silent Disco will be memories that aren’t made due to the COVID-19 shut-down of Armijo High School.

Originally scheduled for Thursday, April 9, the Silent Disco was going to be a chance for outstanding students to be rewarded for their hard work prior to Spring Break. Each teacher had been asked to nominate up to five students who showed excellence and improvement in attendance, engagement, behavior or grades. Those students would be able to attend the event during class time and dance.

Participants would be given a set of headphones upon arrival and could switch between three channels, each with a different genre of music. Each channel was given a color and the headphones would change color as dancers changed the channel, so they could see what other students were listening to the same thing and dance along with them. “They turn off the lights and it becomes this super cool glow in the dark experience,” said Maria Liz, who participated last year. “If you slip off your headphones it’s almost completely silent and a really cool experience overall.”

The event was successful last spring and the leadership class hopes to be able to bring it back next year as a reward for the students who continue to try their best.