Students have a special time at a special prom

FSUSD Facebook page

Students from around the county joined together for fun at the annual Spring Fling.

There is a happiness that can be difficult to articulate that comes hand-in-hand with giving to others. One of the most exciting events for students at Armijo is the Special Education Prom, which embodies this indescribable joy. On May 19, Leadership played a large role in helping Adaptive P.E. teacher Ms. Lynne put on the Special Education Prom. Explained by committee head Kaelen Tabasa, the event is for special education students who are unable to attend formal events like prom or dances. She added, “Some of them can’t be at our prom because it is too late and too loud for them, so having their own prom in the morning in our big gym is how we can accommodate to them”.

Putting on this dance entailed a great deal of pre-planning, which was evident through setup of the dance and variety of activities. As part of the event, a DJ played great hits for everyone to enjoy on the main gym floor, while professional pictures were being taken in the small gym. If students were not interested in dancing, snacks, photobooth pictures, and activities were available for the students to enjoy. These activities included coloring, soccer, basketball, and giant tic-tac-toe. Tabasa elaborated on the set up, “One side of the gym was open for those who just wanted to sit and chill. On the other set of bleachers, we showcased stars and moons decorated by the kids in Armijo’s special education program.”

The Special Education Prom is such an important event because it creates a fun and welcoming environment for the students to enjoy. Students that go to other schools are able to see each other at this event and catch up with one another. Alexis Saepharn, ASB officer in charge of the committee helping with the event. Mentioned that “The students look forward to this every year because having an event where they can just be free to dance their hearts out is just everything.”

The event was definitely a success, and was the source of what will become cherished memories. Committee-head Rahmatllah stated, “My favorite part was dancing with all the students. The looks on their faces was remarkable.” Saepharn further added, “It was amazing to see us hyping up the SpEd students and appreciating their talents. Moments like that are unforgettable.”

It is truly awesome to see how the students at Armijo are dedicated to creating an inclusive campus that promotes positivity. It is events like this that truly make Armijo shine!