Homecoming scores big with entertainment and fun

San Francisco earned the Senior Class a 1st place in their Homecoming Skit.

While the final score for the Homecoming game against Wood on Friday, February 3, was a disappointment, it was one of the few down points of a fun week of  Homecoming festivities. Throughout the week, there was school spirit everywhere for the dress up days. Monday, January 30, kicked off with Music City Monday and band shirts were worn all over campus.

Tuesday, January 31, was Toga Tuesday where students and a handful of staff wore bed sheets to school. Announcements for the teacher homecoming nominees was opened that day, too.  The five female nominees were Ms. Nicole Shabazz, Ms. Sheena Beeson, Ms. Lisa Davis, Ms. Ann Logan, and Ms. Sara Johnson. The male nominees were Mr. John Stenger, Mr. Anthony Nanfito, Mr. Derek Clawson, Mr. Pete Smith, and Mr. Xavier Arcia.

Wednesday’s dress-up theme was Bay Area Wednesday where folks dressed to match their “bae” — or even a friend — or wore their Bay Area gear. This was followed on Thursday, February 2, with a celebration of The City that never sleeps, where participants celebrated with comfy clothing across campus.

Naturally, on Friday, February 3, it was time to wear purple and gold, in honor of the City of Gold. Many students wore spirit gear.

The night was filled with fun and excitement with a fair amount of friendly competition. While the games were important, the list of winners for the court and the floats is what everyone was waiting for. The freshman class was represented by Prince Nick Nygard and Princess Abby David. Following them, representing the Class of 2019 were Prince Nixon McKenzie and Princess Nimi Amatoru. The Prince and Princess of the junior class were Ezekiel Tortal and Jasmine Reyes respectively. Rounding out the lower court for the senior class were  Prince Jed Simsuangco and Princess Taylor Morris. Heading the court for the spring season were King Luis Grijalva and Queen Diana Souki.

This year there were even more winners with a faculty court that included Mr. Pete Smith as Prince and Ms. Lisa Davis as Princess. The faculty court was honored to have Mr. Xavier Arcia as King and Ms. Nicole Shabazz as Queen.

Between the Junior Varsity and Varsity games, the students presented their floats representing their chosen cities. The winners went in order with the classes. The Seniors came in first with San Francisco.  Before the big day, Zhane Fernandez said, “I think I’m most excited to see everyone come together one last time and have fun as a class no matter what place we come in.”

The Class of 2018 earned a second place position representing New York City.  “I’m most excited to see how homecoming all comes together and how good everyone will look in their costumes. We’ve got a lot of people in homecoming this year. They’ve all been doing such a good job, and I think the biggest payoff is the new [people] you meet along the way. Seeing people socialize outside their usual friend group is always a good sign; also being able to see the finished product of your own hard work. I’m really excited to see everyone’s faces after we do a great job at the end.”

Sophomores took New Orleans to third place followed by the freshmen and their float that showed off Honolulu.

The Junior Varsity girls managed a win against Wood with a 32-18 game. The Varsity girls lost to their opponents with a 32-51 loss.