The American Dream

It takes talent and drive to bridge the gap from immigrant to successful American, but it is done often.

Kayla Reynolds, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Did you know that almost 13%, or 40 million people, of the population of the United States are foreign born? The Armijo Signal features some of those who are students on campus, but there are so many more around the country who have their own stories to tell.

Sergey Brin was born in Moscow, Russia. The Communist Party restricted his father from pursuing higher studies because of his Jewish nationality. Due to this, he and his family came to America when he was only six years old. After applying for an exit visa, both of his parents lost their jobs. Brin ended up enrolling in a computers program at Stanford University until he dropped out and became the co-founder of Google. He owns 16% of the company which has a value of billions of dollars.

Andy Grove is also one who chased after what is known as the American Dream. In the beginning of his life, he lived in Hungary, hiding from Nazis. During the Hungarian Revolution, Grove was able to escape and come to America. Starting his company was not easy, especially since he knew little English and did not have a lot of money. However, he went to college, found a job and eventually co-founded Intel Corporation which is now a billion dollar company.

These stories go to show that anything is possible once you put your mind to it! There are many more, even in our own community.