Oh, the Places You’ll Go!

Leila Harper, Staff Writer

This Summer, take up the challenge to get into your Summer reading by joining the Summer Reading Project at Solano County Library: Reading Takes You Everywhere. Everyone is invited to participate at your local library. The 600 free programs are designed to get families engaged in reading with prizes and fun events.

The challenge, quite simply, is to read. Reading for 15 hours earns kids and teenagers a free book. For adults, reading for 15 hours earns a $10 fine waiver. And everyone earns a free tote bad after completing the 15 hours. Tots who cannot yet read can play with puppets and are read nursery rhymes. The more you read, the closer you get to win a prize!

Each week, anyone who has joined the Program is entered into a Raffle. Everyone has a chance to win prizes, such as ice cream, ferry passes, sporting tickets, and other winnings. Every Monday, from June 11 to July 30, the raffles are drawn. To begin, pick up a Reading Takes You Everywhere game board at your local library on June first.

The Reading Takes You Everywhere program has over 600 special events for everyone in the family. There are events targeted towards children and families, teenagers, young children, and even some for just adults. Events vary from an ice cream social (August 1, 3:30, at Fairfield Civic Center Library) to a Virtual Reality demo (June 19, 3:30, at Fairfield Civic Center Library) to an adults chess club on Saturdays at 10:30 am (at Suisun City Library).

For Armijo students, applying to E-Card can allow you to read the Summer selection books on the Destiny Discover app digitally. A wide variety of genres have been chosen by one of Armijo’s librarians, Ms. Monegato. The most popular among students being social justice. This is the first year Armijo has participated in the Summer Reading program. “What I always do at the end of the school  year is, I save some portion of my budget, get books in, and then I take home the new stuff, read it all in the Summer so that I can book talk it in the Fall and then I put it out in August for when you guys come back,” Ms. Monegato said, “So I’m hoping that we do have students that will read something over the Summer and not just play on their phones all Summer.”

When: June 1, 2018 – August 31

Where: Fairfield Civic Center Library, Fairfield Cordelia Library, Suisun City Library, Rio Vista Library, Vallejo-John F. Kennedy Library, Vallejo-Springstowne Library, Vacaville Public Library-Cultural Center, Vacaville Public Town Square*

*events vary at different libraries

Raffles: Every Monday (from June 11 – July 30)

Sources:

About the Writer
Leila Harper, Staff writer
The odd one out in her family, Leila Harper has always been a reader. Born and raised in California, she has always been a obedient and quiet adolescent. Now a freshman, she enjoys reading, listening to music, watching tv and movies, playing video games, talking to friends, and writing. Everso the socially awkward voice, she...