The 25th Annual Special Ed Prom, Prom 2.0

Leila Harper, Staff Writer

On Friday, May 18, Armijo held their 25th annual Special Ed Prom, or Prom 2.0. From Second Period (9:07) to the end of Fourth Period (about 11:50), Special Ed programs from around the district partied the day away. Hundreds of kids from elementary school all the way to students in their senior year of high school attended.

The gym was decked out with dozens of red and gold balloons, a red carpet entrance, a photo booth (complete with several fun photo props), Oscars decorated by the kids (with a little help from Leadership), and games in the back. The DJ (Mr. Gregg Ghamling from Vacaville High School), played a variety of songs, from the top hits of the early 2000’s to the fresh beats of the 2010’s and beyond. All in all, the music just put students in the mood to dance, especially when songs like the Cupid Shuffle, Y.M.C.A, and the Cha Cha Slide came on!

For those who didn’t want to dance, carnival-type games were set up to entertain. Leadership students had shifts to run the games: basket toss, pin the head on the Oscar, Jenga, foosball, sit and bounce, corn hole, and bowling! The kids had a lot of fun doing everything they possibly could: dancing, playing games, socializing, taking photos, and just having fun.

Associated Student Body Officer Christina Delmendo has attended the Special Ed Proms all four years of high school. This year she was responsible for the event and worked closely with Ms. Lynne Lee, the creator and administrator of Prom 2.0. Planning involved arranging the food, the photo booth, and the DJ, organizing the dates, establishing how
the kids were going to get there, and orchestrating the Promposals, the decorations, and the games. “We designed Oscars with them, just so it [can] kind of go with the theme of Oscars and the Red Carpet,” Delmendo said.

“This is my last Special Ed prom that I’d be Committee head for,” said Senior Kaelen Tabasa, “so it was a definite fun time but it was also, kind of reminiscent and I’m just like, ‘Oh, wow! This is my last time.’ And, I really liked it… I think it was a really smooth event, but this event always goes pretty well.” According to Tabasa, the most popular games were foosball and Jenga, which were both new this year. “It was fun because I still make new friends every year, and it’s just fun seeing the kids that I’ve served with over the years grow.”

One of the guests from another school, Isabella, is a local eighth grader and was an example of how sweet the students could be. She liked to dance and was really good. Isabella is going to Armijo next year as a freshman.

About the Writer
Leila Harper, Staff writer

The odd one out in her family, Leila Harper has always been a reader. Born and raised in California, she has always been an obedient and quiet adolescent. Now a Sophomore, she enjoys reading, listening to music, watching Disney movies, being with her dog, and writing. Ever-so the socially anxious opinionated Gen Z teenager, she writes for The Armijo Signal to speak out about her passions: feminism, LGBTQ+ rights, helping those in need, and of course, books.