The Debate: Heat vs. Cold

Isabella Wilson, Staff Writer

Heat vs. Cold, Sun vs. Snow, Summer vs. Winter. This debate, one of utter silliness, is put to the test between these two categories every year. This is most evident in two categories: Fashion and Fun. Who knows what the people prefer between these two opposites.

First, Fashion:

The fashion argument between summer and winter is definitely a hard debate. In winter, people can bundle up in cozy jackets, accessorize with gloves and scarves, and sport the most colorful of galoshes. In summer, though, individuals can model shorts, tank tops, sandals, dresses, skirts, and anything to rid the heat away. Having said that, one of the negatives of summer would definitely be the heat; if your time isn’t spent sitting at the beach or the pool, then you’re probably sitting in the AC with a Popsicle, wishing it would just be winter already.

But, the summer brings the perfect time to flaunt those new swim trunks or that expensive new bikini, whereas the winter not so much. Lauren Gorby makes a strong argument when addressing her fashion preference between the seasons: “Summer because…it’s more broad clothing. During the winter it’s like, if you wear shorts or something fun, you’re going to catch a cold or a fever…It’s going to rain on your outfit.”

Diana Villalobos Barajas counteracts that statement with her own preference. “I like to be more comfortable in winter,” she said.” I get to wear whatever I want.” This particular question seemed 50/50, so who really knows which season is better for fashion?

Now, Fun:
“Sit in the house and sweat,” said from Gorby when asked what her least favorite activity to do in the summer is.
The California heat is upon us for the next season, so how can we possibly avoid the warmth? “Swim and…that’s it,” said Bailey Wilkinson. This is one of the favorite activities but, besides traveling, participating in water balloon fights, and playing in sprinklers, there aren’t many things people are enthused about doing because it just simply gets too hot.

In winter, people can go skiing, build snowmen, go ice skating or snowboarding, cozy up next to a fire, visit family, and celebrate favorite holidays. Yes, it can get quite chilly, but what’s so bad about winter?

Winter and summer both have strong pros, and where there are pros, there are cons, but the negatives simply do not weigh out the positives in this situation. Both seasons are liked equally and have benefits that simply puzzle-piece each other. Where there are positives. there are negatives, where there is heat, there is cold. There are many great activities people can do throughout these times of year. The real question is; how will you spend it?

About the Writer
Isabella Wilson, Staff writer
How I spend my time? Reading, writing, too much sleeping and eating pretty unhealthily. I adore superhero movies way too much and I occasionally draw although I’m not very good. I also like swimming and softball. I did a year of soccer and thought, at one point in my life, I was musically talented, but...