The Battle Begins on May 18

When the team works together, the pieces fall into place.

Tyriise Salas, Staff Writer

“Battle of Armijo is an event where teams are put against each other in fun challenges,” said A’Lena Sessoms. Battle of Armijo starts Friday, May 18, and runs from 3 – 6:30 pm. Team sign-ups were open in the beginning of May and 21 teams of up to 12 players each were enrolled, including a team of teachers and other staff members. Teams were required to pay a $20 entry fee, money that is slated for food and prizes, including a prize for top-scoring team and best team uniform.

The activities include fun Olympic-style games, listed below. The games will be held at the Armijo field. There will be music, a Master of Ceremonies, and a scorekeeper. While the teams have already been registered, students who have not become part of a team are encouraged to come and watch. There will be also be given a prize for the beat team uniform.

“Battle of Armijo is a school held event that brings students together to play challenging and fun games”, said Isabel Castaneda.

Description of All Games

Round RobinSoda Chug (8 Players)

Teams objective:

Members line up behind a table. Each player has a red solo cup filled with Apple Juice.  One person at a time has to chug all the Apple Juice from their cup. A 5 second penalty per time the apple juice spills down the person.  After chugging Apple Juice that member of the team runs across the field and smashes the red solo cup upside down on the other table.  After the player must run back and hit the table to signal for the next player to begin chugging.  

• Total of 5 minutes to complete the game
    • They cannot play again to get a better time.
  • Each game is independent from the others. This means that the 3 games do not have to all start at the same time.

Skin the Snake (8 Players)

Team Objective:

All players stand in the line. They put their right hand forward and through the other person’s legs and grab a hold of their hand. Place your left hand back to your through your own legs to grab the person’s hand. To start the last person in line quickly lies down and then the next person does the same (the team is backing up while each person lays down).  Once everyone is laid down in the line the team must come back up one by one to the starting positions.  If the line breaks then you must start over. The time continues if the line breaks.

• Have 5 minutes to complete the game
    • They can play the game again to get a better time they have 3 tries to get a better time.
  • Each game is independent of the others. this means that the games do you not have to all start at the same time

Banana O Rama (8 Players)

Team Objective:

Players Lie down on the turf without shoes, head to toe in a straight line with each person’s toes about 2 feet away from the next person’s head. When the game begins, the first person in the line grabs the banana with their feet and passes it over their heads to the next person.  The next person receives the banana with his or her feet and passes the banana back again until the entire team is done. When the banana has been passed to the last person, he or she has to peel the banana and eat it, time stops with a banana has been completely. If the Banana falls then the judge will pick up the banana and will bring it to the first person in the line to rest.  Time continues until the banana is eaten. The one eating banana is given water. If more water is taken DQ

• 5 minutes to finish this game
  • Each game is independent of the others. This means that the three games do not have to Go at the same time

Tennis Ball Kissing (8 Players)

Team Objective:

Goal is to have 4 duos of two. Each pair can only go at once. Duo must transfer a tennis ball using only their lips and place ball into a plastic cylinder. If the ball is dropped or they use anything other than their lips, they must start over. The next duo cannot go until the duo before them completes their part. Time stops once all 4 balls are placed in cylinders. Have a 5 minute time limit and if they cannot complete all 4 balls into the cylinder, the amount of balls you have will be recorded.

• 5 minutes to finish this game

Jump Rope (8 players)

Team Objective

Two of your team member with is the rope turners.  The other 6 member will be jumping into the rope as it is turning.  Each of the 6 members will jump in individually, one at a time.  The first person can jump in the rope whenever comfortable.  The 2nd person must wait 3 jumps until they can jump in. The 3rd person must wait 3 jumps until they can jump in. The 4th person must wait 3 jumps until they can jump in. The 5th person must wait 3 jumps until they can jump in.  Then the 6th person must wait 3 jumps until they can jump in. Once all 6 players are in the jump rope the turners will begin counting the number of jumps the 6 players have done together.  If the rope stops you must start over to person one.  The game will be scored 1st place the most amount of jumps. 21st place the least amount of people jumping into the rope.

• 5 minutes to get as many people in the rope and get as many jumps with all 6 member in the rope
  • Each game is independent of the others. This means that the three games do not have to start at the same time

Slap Happy (8 Player)

Team Objective

Goal is to have 4 duos of two. Each person is given a clipboard.  One pair at a time must take a waffle ball and bounce the wiffle ball between each other using the clipboards, until the wiffle ball goes through a hoop.  If the wiffle ball hits the ground you must give the wiffle ball to the next pair and go to the back of the line.  No double hits. The time keeps going until you hit the wiffle ball through the hoop 3 times.  If your team does not complete the task the ranks will be placed from shortest time for all 3 balls to how many wiffle balls went through the hoop.

• 5 minutes to finish this game

Horse Play (8 Players)

Team Objective

There will be a table propped up to a slant. Taped on the table will be 3 horse shoes.  It the objective of the team to blow one Ping-Pong ball into each horseshoe. 8 players from your team will line up and one at a time will get a chance to blow a ping pong ball into any of the horse shoes.  If the ping pong ball drops, you must give the next person the ping pong ball and go to the back of the line   

• 5 minutes to finish this game

2nd Round: Hungry Hungry Humans (8 Players)

Team Objective:

In the middle circle of the new quad there will be 48 footballs. One team member at a time will have to sit down on a skateboard with a rope attached to it and push themselves out to the center of the quad either scooting on their bottoms use hands to push themselves out to the purple A.  You are not allowed to go on your stomach; your butt must be on the skateboard.  Failure to do this will result in your whole team starting over. Each of the 8 team members must grab one football at a time when they reach the center of the quad and the remaining 7 team members participating must then pull him/her back to retrieve the football. This process repeats 8 times with a different team member each time until all 8 footballs have been retrieved per team. First 4 teams to finish will move on to the next round.  The first 4 teams to finish will move onto the 3rd round.  

• All teams begin at the same time

3rd Round: Swim Game

Team Objective:

Each team will have their own lane. In each lane there is a tube with ropes on one side the tube and 16 balls on the cement under the basket that is propped up on the diving board. The objective of the game is to score all balls into baskets the fastest, or before the other team.

How to play: The tube will start on the side of the pool lane that doesn’t have the basket and when the game starts, the first teammate will get in the tube and have to swim to the other side that has the balls and basket, and they will grab two of the balls (this gives them two chances to try and make it) and their teammates will pull him back and once he passes a certain length they can start shooting into the basket, before they can switch player they must shoot into the basket. This will continue until 8 balls are scored. The first two teams done will move onto the final round.

Rules:

-they have to be in or on the tube somehow when going to get a ball and coming back to shoot

-if they start shooting before they pass they certain length they have to switch players and if the player made anything in they don’t count

Final Round: Obstacle Course

Team Objective:

Teams will compete in an extensive obstacle course on the football field which will test both mental and physical strength. Teams will go one at a time and compete to get the best time for completion. The top two teams with the fastest times will move on to the finale. Details regarding the obstacle course will not be revealed until the time of the event…it’s a secret 🙂

—-1st member; potato sack race to 50 yard line. Then tag 2nd member who will walk to the middle of the balance beam with 3 water balloons then once in the middle of the beam they will throw their water balloons into the hoop at the center of the field.  If they make it into the hoop 15 seconds will be removed from their time. They will continue to walk across the beam to grab the Frisbee at the end and throw and frisky into a disc golf goal thingy. If they miss on the first try they must go to where the Frisbee lies and try until it is in the goal.  Then they will runs to tag Tags 3rd & 4th members, one gets on a blanket and the other one drags the person on the blanket to the 50 yard line if person is to fall off the blanket they have to restart from where they were tagged.  Once the reach the 50 yard line the 5th person will be waiting their once tagged the they will grab a bat and do that spinny thing 10 times and grab a basketball and run over to the basketball hoop and shoot from the free throw line. If missed they can make a lay-up. After they make a shot the person will run over to the 6th person and they will try to make it through the laser yarn course.  If they are to touch the laser yarn 3 seconds are added to the time. Once they made it through the laser yarn they are to run to the 7th person who have to put on the wet XXL clothing from the bucket and putt a golf ball into the ‘hole’ once the hole is made they will run over to tag the 8th person who will be at the 50 yard line and they are to kick a field goal (they can choose which goal to kick in). If the field goal is made 15 seconds will be taken off their overall score.

• ALL three teams will compete at once