How to Become an Adult

Photo by Jose from Burst

Photo by Jose from Burst

Jasmin Lara Lopez, Staff Writer

Becoming an adult takes a lot of time. You do not just wake up one day and decide to be an adult. It requires becoming responsible and developing patience. As teens, we are used to having our parents worry about paying bills while we hang out with friends, but one of the first steps to becoming an adult is getting a job, a likelihood for many students at the age of 16. When a teen gets his first job, he or she is not only involved with a business but is also handed a lot of trust. ”I started working when I was 16 and I became more mature because I stopped slacking off,” said Daniel Jimmies, a community member who has experienced reality outside of high school.

As you grow older, you come to realize a lot of your old past decisions were childish. Instead of looking at what is most convenient to you, you look at the pros and cons in a given situation. You think more about what will affect you in the future rather than in the present.

Another part of the journey into adulthood is education. You focus a lot on it because it is what will help you in the long run. Again, it comes to looking at the long- term effects over the short-term effects. As you mature, you come to the conclusion that all that time spent playing around, not worried about school and grades, was wasted time that could have been put into a better use.

Adulthood can be very scary and stressful but, if you think about it, it is all about making the right decisions. Before you know it, you will realize that many responsibilities have been given to you and that is when people recognize that they are becoming adults. High school is the time to take advantage of the opportunities to grow out of your childish ways and realize that you are growing up and becoming a better you.