Women’s Rights in Other Countries

Soraya Rosales, Staff Writer

Women have not always had the rights and privileges that they have today, but things are different today. In the United States, we often take for granted some of our opportunities, but some countries are still seeking a balance for women’s rights.

In certain countries, like Yemen for example, women can’t leave their house without their husbands accompanying them, unless it is an emergency. Women have only been allowed to vote in Saudi Arabia since 2015, and only last year were they given legal authority to drive.

The Lily said that “a Nigerian husband is permitted to hit his wife, under Section 55 of the Penal Code, for the purposes of ‘correcting’ her.” This may sound familiar to those students who have read Things Fall Apart.

Also according to The Lily, “in Israel, a woman needs her husband’s permission to get a divorceandin 30 countries, women can’t choose where to live.”

Jewel Escalera responded to these restrictions. “I feel that these laws are unfair because women are people, too, and someone, especially a man shouldn’t be able to say what they can and can’t do, she said.