A week set aside for saying Thank You.

John Manley, Staff Writer

Most people are familiar with Teacher Appreciation Week, a time when students and the community set aside time to do something special for teachers. The National PTA (Parent Teacher Association) recognizes this week in May and this year they will host it from May 7-11. At Armijo, though, that week comes a bit earlier and extends to all who work at Armijo, making it a time to honor administration and support staff as well.

Leadership teacher Brad Burzynski said that Staff Appreciation Week at Armijo will be held from Monday, March 19, through Friday, March 23. The change in focus is because Leadership believes that all staff deserves to be recognized, not just teachers.

While the Leadership class is still planning the event, some favorites from the past include “Faculty wishes,” where staff members are asked to list their desires for their classroom or for their lives, and dress-up days, including  “Molumby  Monday,”  where students and staff are encouraged to dress up for themes that reflect the interests of the adults. “Molumby Monday” is a reference to the math teacher who wears a tie every day. Considering that Mr. Molumby is retiring after this year, this may be the last opportunity for students and staff to have Molumby Monday.

Other popular events for weeks in the past, events that will probably be returning, include having breakfast delivered to the teachers in class, hosting a faculty lunch, and getting to choose a dress-up theme for the week.

Mr. Burzynski said that, if he had a wish for the Staff Appreciation Week, it would be to play golf as an activity, but also for the leadership classes to take all of the staff into consideration when coming up with activities.