How to get out of a toxic relationship

Jasmin Lara Lopez, Staff Writer

The first step for someone to deal with a toxic relationship is recognizing that he or she is dealing with a difficult situation. This could be with a significant other, family member or a friend. The sooner a person recognizes the problem, the better off he or she will be and the easier it will be to leave the situation.

Toxic relationships with a significant other can be a special challenge. Having to be in a relationship with someone who brings stress and anxiety rather than happiness is easy to recognize on the outside but harder to identify when one is in the middle of the experience. A toxic relationship can leave someone believing that he or she is the one doing wrong when, in reality, he or she is the victim, doubting and questioning everything done.

Leaving a toxic relationship can be very difficult. One may feel that finding another person who can show love will be challenging or difficult, but in reality, it is easier to find that person when one is free from toxic influences. Those who are in toxic relationships need time and reassurance that everything will be better in the long run.

Sometimes people don’t realize they are in toxic relationships until someone else mentions it. The mistreatment and insults usually happen gradually and are often offset by positive actions and people often fall into patterns of acceptance. Having someone mention the problem may cause pain at first or make someone feel bad about their choices. It can be very challenging at first, but people in toxic relationships need to come to the realization that mental health is very important and no one should be in control of that.

One sign of a toxic relationship is when an individual cuts others out of the lives of their significant others, either directly or through suggestions. The simple act of surrounding oneself with people who are open-minded and accepting gives individuals an opportunity to grow rather than being restricted. If a person is controlling, it may be because he or she wants to limit their significant other’s interaction with others. This is usually a sign of insecurity. Nobody should not be controlled by someone else or prevented from being happy within themselves. People who actually care for others should be the people one seeks to help escape a toxic relationship and to recover from
one.