Off-Campus Athlete: An Interesting Sport

Emmanuel Sandoval, Staff Writer

Isabelle de Groot is both an athlete on-campus and off-campus athlete, but her athletic entertainment is not something you’d see at Armijo. “Sailing is basically just being in a boat with sails and using the wind to power yourself and to navigate and move throughout the water and get to where you want to be.”

De Groot started sailing one summer because her step-mother was looking at summer camps and she suggested she try out the sport. At first she wasn’t sure she was going to like it but, as she began doing it, she couldn’t stop and just kept practicing.

Her favorite thing about sailing is that she likes going fast in the water because, when she’s out there in the water, everything is really nice and peaceful.

She said that sailing can be very scary when you first start and you cannot be seasick easily. You have to be very open to learning because things never go in a certain way and you will have to find a solution for different problems. Another thing is that you can’t be indecisive because you might crash into other boats. She said that she has been practicing the sport for three years now.

Another sport that she likes is volleyball and she plays in the junior varsity Armijo volleyball team. She hopes to make the try-outs and play for the varsity team next year. De Groot said that she would like to continue sailing or playing volleyball in college, although she isn’t sure of what college she wants to attend. She is interested in attending a military college. One of de Groot’s main academic goals is to graduate from a four-year university. After college, she said that she probably will go into the military.

When she has some free time, she said that she likes to relax. Some of the things that she likes to do include hiking, backpacking, and doing things that involve nature.

One thing that she definitely likes about Armijo is the diversity of cultures that she has been able to meet in sports and clubs. If she was given the opportunity to change one thing about Armijo it would be classes that there are available because students are not really able to take classes that they interested in learning (excluding electives).

About the Writer
Emmanuel Sandoval, Staff writer

I came to the United States when I was 13 years old, not knowing English. Now I know English and I am able to communicate with people. When I started high school I didn’t know what to do, I was not having much fun because all I did was studying and doing homework. Things changed for me when I was a sophomore because I decided to join the cross country team. Cross country was such a great experience that I decided to join track and field. Track and field was much harder than cross country but it was worth it.

This year I did not wanted to do join cross country and I’m not sure if I will even do track and field. I knew I had to something different for my junior year and that is why I joined the Armijo Signal. I changed my schedule after the first week of school so that I could take Journalism as my elective, and here I am, working for the Armijo Signal.

Some of the activities that I enjoy doing are listening to music, reading, watch Netflix and YouTube, working out (if possible), and running (if possible, too).