Game Review: Insurgency

James Luna, Staff Writer

Insurgency is a first-person shooter video game originally released January 22, 2014, on the Windows platform for personal computers. It was developed and published by New World Interactive. The game has no single player campaign, instead being a purely online multiplayer experience. It is available for purchase from Steam for $10.

The premise surrounds two opposing factions: Insurgents and Security. Security is the typical American soldiers, while the insurgents resemble Jihadi terrorists. The locations featured are all set in the Middle East, heavily featuring arid conditions and Arabic symbols. A variety of modes are playable, capturing objectives, blowing up supply caches, etc. Neither the Security nor Insurgents have a predefined side, like offense or defense. It depends on the game mode.

Outside of the norm, Insurgency is featured as a tactical team game, featuring much more realistic gameplay than standard games. It is considered Milsim, a subgenre of video games aimed to simulate military operations, similar games include Arma 3, Arma 2, Project Reality, and Squad. Insurgency was based on the urban combat US soldiers would face when clearing building in the multiple Middle-Eastern conflicts recently. Building clearing is heading door to door of native citizens to check for any hidden terrorists inside the buildings. It is characterized by high intensity and close quarters combat, both of which Insurgency uses to build up the gameplay.

Overall, Insurgency is a great game for people looking to get an idea of how urban combat was during Middle-Eastern conflicts. It isn’t overly complicated, like some games in its genre, like Arma 3, but it does possess a clearly realistic perspective. The gameplay is slow and methodic, encouraging active communication with teammates before making a move. For $10, the game is an absolute steal, and is highly recommended for those looking for a new first-person shooter experience. To note, the game is coded in the Source engine, making it very CPU intensive, rather than GPU intensive. One positive is that the source engine is highly stable so the experience should not fluctuate, unless you are in a situation of high intensity.