Peter and the Starcatcher – a musical experience courtesy of the Rotary Club

Thanksgiving break was near, and on Friday, November 17, a select few students had the opportunity to visit Solano Community College to watch a performance of “Peter and the Starcatcher,” written by Rick Elice. The students were able to attend the play thanks to a special grant from the Rotary Team Cultural Arts Program for which the the Rotary Clubs of Cordelia and Fairfield-Suisun donated $1000 worth of tickets.

“Peter and the Starcatcher”is based on the novel by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. The two hour performance was directed by Christine Mani and featured music by Wayne Barker. It is a speculative fiction musical comedy with a touch of romance.

I was lucky enough to be one of the students to attend this play and was extremely impressed. The way that the scenes were set up was amazing and the entire show was extremely realistic, making the audience feel like we were actually there. The details on all the props and costumes were very well thought out and the actors were absolutely magnificent. I could tell that they’d already put a lot of work into their acting and the development of their roles. They had all of their lines memorized and added a great deal of emotion into their characters. It was evident that the actors had taken time to understand their parts and never broke character once.

Overall the play was wonderful! My favorite part was when at the beginning of Act II when the fish that were transformed into mermaids because of the star stuff and they started to sing together. I would have to say that my two top favorite characters were Smee (Kevin Rebultan) and Peter (Matthew Sennett). I definitely would recommend this to someone who’s never been to a live theater performance, especially if they enjoy musicals and comedy.

The students who attended the musical would like to thank Solano Community College for allowing us to attend and watch the show, and also thank the Rotary Team Cultural Arts Program for being so generous to donate money for the experience.

The Armijo Signal • Copyright 2017 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in