Athlete focus: An interview with Grace Curry

Q: Why did you choose to go into Water Polo?

A: My older cousin, who is six years my senior, had played water polo while he had attended Armijo so I had grown up with the stories from his experiences. It sounded like a lot of fun and something new to try so I figured I’d give it a shot!

Q: How long have you been participating in Water Polo for AHS or outside?

A: I’ve played on the varsity team since I was freshman since we often don’t have enough players to field a varsity and a jv team.

Q: Have you played for any other teams?

A: I played on a club team the summer before my sophomore year and I’ve attended several clinics to learn new skills as a goalie in the past year.

Q: What is your most memorable game with Armijo?

A: My most memorable game was definitely my last game this year as a senior against Rod. It was the best game that the team had played and it felt like all of hard work throughout the season had paid off. It was so nice to see us all working so well as team and it paid off with a win.

Q: Do you participate in any other sports?

A: I had played soccer since I was 6 and planned to continue in high school but once I started water polo, I quit because I loved playing it so much!

Q: Do you plan to continue playing Water Polo in college?

A: I’m not sure if I’m going to play water polo in college, academics has always been my priority, but maybe I’ll play for a club.

Q: Where do you hope to go?

A: I hope to go to either Fordham University or UC Davis. I plan on attending college to study Neuroscience but I’m not sure what I’m going to do after college.

Q: What advice would you give to someone contemplating on getting involved in sports?

A: Don’t be afraid if don’t have any experience in whatever sport you want to try! We all start out as beginners and the only place to go is up.

Q: Besides Water Polo, what else are you involved with (both at school and outside of school)?

A: I’m in several clubs at Armijo including News Bounty, Helping Hands, and Society for the Cinematic Arts.

Q: What are your hobbies?

A: I love reading so I would definitely say that’s one of my hobbies.

Q: Do you have any brothers or sisters?

A: I have a younger brother, Jack Curry, who is 15.

Q: Who are your role models?

A: My parents are definitely some of my role models, My mom is always working and pushing herself to be better. My dad is someone who is unafraid to pursue his passions. They both inspire me to work hard and make them proud.

Q: If you could change one thing about Armijo (students, facilities, staff, etc.), what would it be and why?

A: One thing I wish we did is recognize academic achievements as well as athletic ones. For example, we have signing events for athletes when they commit to a certain college to play. While this is an incredible achievement and shouldn’t be diminished, I wished there was something similar for students committing to a certain college too. I wish we celebrated the academic achievements of these students who go on to pursue a higher education as opposed to just those who play sports.