Deal him out in June

Tyriise Salas, Staff Writer

Senior Sam Deal said that he has had a pretty awesome experience at Armijo through his years. Sam has been in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, starting off in his freshman year with Honors courses and moving along with many of his IB friends. He is also in the Barbell and Robotics.

Most IB students participate in sports, but Deal messed up his arm playing baseball and was supposed to go to physical therapy, but he didn’t. “No way,” he said. “I couldn’t have time for IB if I hadn’t messed up my arm.”

Time is important, but Deal manages to juggle the challenges of his classes with volunteer work. He spends time helping out students in middle and elementary schools. He prefers the older students because they are calmer than the younger ones. He also volunteers at his church.

This year, Deal hopes to go back to playing baseball but is also interested in soccer.  The Barbell Club has helped him improve his strength and made him ready to use it on the field. “I love exerting force, but only on weight,” he said.

He said that he looks up to one person at Armijo, Mr. Anthony Nanfito. “The man is awesome. He’s smart, and athletic, and nerdy,” he said. “I want to be him.” While he’s glad that high school is almost over, Deal admitted that he is going to miss his friends. “I hope to hang out with my friends in college,” he said. He intends to go straight to Solano in the fall and spend some time working on his mother’s old Mustang.

For those who are left behind, Deal gave this advice: “Do your best not to lose interest.”