Journey of a Million Miles

Andrew Zheng, Editor-in-Chief

In an average lifetime, people will have walked about 216,000,000 steps. When an average stride is applied, these steps convert to around 110,000 miles. To put 110,000 miles in perspective, the circumference of the Earth at the equator is almost 25,000 miles. This means that people walk as much as four times around the globe during their lives. And this is just walking. Imagine all the driving, sailing, and traveling by plane and train that is done. People can easily achieve over a hundred million miles ventured across in their lifetimes. This is a staggering figure to comprehend. A hundred million. Our lives encompass so much commuting from point A to point B that it has become so vapid and normal. We forget to appreciate that life is one incredible, volatile, and introspective journey that is composed of smaller physical or emotional moves from one place to another. These journeys make us who we are. Journeys make us learn the hardships and wonders of life, the need to be emotionally strong to get through life, and the realization that this life only comes by once, so we should enjoy it to the fullest.

There are many layers to a journey, but an exact definition is simply the act of traveling from one place to another. Of course, this is mostly physical. Some examples of important journeys we take are moving out of a long-term home, travelling away for college, going on holy or cultural pilgrimages, and visiting a foreign country. These special journeys place us in new environments and allow us to experience things we never have done before. Through the journey itself and the endpoint, we attain a higher capacity to value ourselves and the world around us. This leads to emotional journeying. At times in life, we question who we are and why we ended up in a certain situation or feel a certain way. To answer the questions we look to become empowered by explanations and fix some pitfalls, which improve our mentality. Searching for difficult answers makes us journey from an old, maybe less desirable, us to a new, confident and satisfied us.

As the school year is coming to a close, I reflect that high school was one intense but absolutely fantastic journey. Along the way, I made friends for life and had an eye-opening time with them. I learned material that I can recall and rely on beyond my four years at Armijo thanks to amazing teachers and other mentors. I changed—a lot. And others did too; however, I believe it was all for the better. For the seniors, it can be bittersweet that the high school journey is over but there are so many more to adventure through, and that’s exciting. For the underclassmen, make the most out of high school and don’t ever give up on this journey.