Class of 2021 is well represented

Joel Bejarano Alanis

Miggy is well-suited to serve as a smiling sophomore secretary.

He may only be a sophomore in high school, but Severo “Miggy” Silva, who currently serves as the Class of 2021 Secretary, is already considering a position in student government in college. His ultimate goal, though, is not to go into politics but to become either an aerospace engineer or an astrophysicist.

Silva has been in student government since he was in middle school. As a freshman last spring, he said that he “campaigned by making a speech and telling people why they should vote for me,” he said. “I went into student government because I wanted to grow as a leader.”

As secretary, Silva’s role is to help lead class meetings. He is also in charge of a team that does different things involving student government. He would encourage other students to get involved in Leadership and to consider running for office. “You don’t have to have a big position if you are not ready,” he said. “Just join to experience it and meet new people.”

One of Silva’s favorite hobbies is meeting new people and he has found many ways on campus to do that. He is on the track and cross-country teams and is involved in various clubs like National Honor Society (NHS) and Board Game Club. He plays trumpet in the Armijo band and also plays piano.

He said that, if he could change one thing about Armijo, he would want to see the students keep the bathrooms clean. “I would appreciate clean bathrooms, and I know how the staff already tries to keep it clean,” he said.

While Silva sees his parents as his role models, his contributions to society are being observed by his younger brother and sister.