ASB Focus: Vice President Tai Porter

Photo by Joel Bejarano Alanis

As Associated Student Body (ASB) Vice President, this may be Tai Porter’s last year in student government, but she wants to make it the best one yet. She hasn’t decided whether to continue holding an office at the college level.

Porter joined leadership in her freshman year. “I saw the events they put on and the impact they made in the school, and I really wanted to be a part of that,” she said. Despite the prestigious title, Porter said that “all the officers share the responsibility equally.”

Being involved at Armijo is something that Porter would like to see more of and encourages others to find their role. Those who want to try out student government should “just try out! It could end up just being one of the best choices you make during your high school career.”

In June, when she has graduated from high school, Porter plans to go to community college for a couple of years. “I’m very undecided on what career and what major I want to pursue,” she said. While she still has questions about her future, she did have something to say about the future of the Armijo campus. “I would like to change the negativity that is often associated with leadership and put the program in a more positive light.”

Porter is the third in a family of four girls, but the only one currently at Armijo. She has two older sisters (Deja, 25 and Jaehda, 21) and a younger sister (Raye, 12).