Sibling Spotlight: Sofia & Diego

Diego and Sofia Martinez Aguirre are two incredibly outspoken siblings. They may be a couple of years apart, but it couldn’t make them any closer!

Diego is a freshman, and Sofia is a member of the Class of 2020. They have two other siblings who do not currently attend Armijo.

Although they don’t seem to  have much in common, they’re still very close to each other. “I like having my sister on campus because she helped me get comfortable at school and make friends,” said Diego, “and I can hang out with her when there’s no one else.”.

Sofia finds the same sort of support. Having Diego on campus this year is “best because he shares his food and if my friends don’t show up he’ll be there,” she said.

So, how different are they? Diego’s interests include drawing and sports, like football. He likes being outside. His favorite genres of music R&B  and hip-pop, his favorite place is home because he gets to chill, his favorite types of movies are horror, like Friday the 13th. His favorite colors are blue and purple, and his favorite songs are This is America and 3005 by Childish Gambino. For fun, he plays video games like Fortnite.

Sofia, on the other hand, spends her free time watching TV,, hanging with friends, doing laundry, and listening to music. Her favorite place to be is bed and her favorite genre of music is pop about love. Her favourite color is orange, and her favorite songs are See You Again by Tyler The Creator, After the Storm by Kali Uchis, and Come Through & Chill by Miguel.

Like Diego, Sofia likes horror films but her favorite scary movie is The Devil Inside.

While they both plan on attending college, they agreed that it most likely won’t be the same one. Both of them are interested in clubs and sports on campus, but neither has joined any yet.

Because they spend a lot of time together, people often assume that they’re a dating couple rather than siblings. They both jokingly felt that the other would characterize him or her as “annoying” but Diego said that Sofia was really chill and nice, even though they annoy each other, and Sofia said that she likes her brother. She knows sometimes she can be mean but that it’s almost unintentional. She said she loves her brother.It is evident that they aren’t just bound by DNA, but bound by the heart.