Club Focus: All About Money

It’s easy to be overwhelmed by money. Bills, taxes, a Roth IRA? That’s quite a mouthful, isn’t it?

Fewer than one-third of Americans prepare a household budget and college costs are rising faster than financial aid can keep up. Unfortunately, this deficit in financial literacy can lead to devastating consequences. Up to 40% of low-income students who are accepted to college in the spring never make it to the first day of class in the fall.

My introduction to the concept of financial literacy came from a particular TED talk, given by Curtis “Wall Street” Carroll, an incarcerated man who learned how to read and trade stocks while in prison. Not only had Carroll taught himself the principles of the financial world, but he also went on to develop a financial literacy educational program for his fellow inmates.

Viewing the world through this lens, my friends and I realized that there was a burgeoning need for financial literacy education for teens. We created Moneyminds last year, with workshops that cater to the financial challenges that young adults commonly face: managing income from jobs, saving for college, car ownership, and understanding taxes.

If you are interested in becoming financially empowered in high school and beyond, Moneyminds is the place to be. Material and curriculum used is FDIC approved and our team works diligently to make difficult concepts accessible and comprehensible for everyone. Moneyminds offers an opportunity for all students, regardless of grade level or IB enrollment status to join.

Moneyminds meets every Friday at lunch at G-7 with Ms. Kellie Ramirez serving as the faculty adviser. Students can stay in contact via the Remind (@moneyminds) and via Twitter and Instagram at @ffmoneyminds. In addition, workshop information and blog posts can be accessed at our website.

(Introduction sourced from blog post of Moneyminds website.)