Severo “Miggy” Silva – Class of 2021

Name: Severo “Miggy” Silva
Grade Level: 9th
Years In Leadership: 1

Officer Position/Committee Name

Class Treasurer – 9th

Activities, Sports, Clubs

Wind Ensemble (Band) – 9th
Leadership Class of 2021 – 9th
Cross Country – 9th
Track – 9th

Community Service

Various O hours that included being a server for different organizations, donating canned food and clothes, and participating in Tracks (Community Holiday).
Performed in music concerts that promoted music unity and advancements of the arts.

Other important characteristics about me:

Helpful
Responsible
Calm
Cool-headed
Good listener
kind

How do you plan to stay connected to students to make sure their voices are heard?

In Leadership, I plan to hold discussions that address the various issues at Armijo. I believe communication is key and that these discussions will ensure that everyone in Leadership has a chance to participate in sharing their ideas. For outside of leadership, I want to implement a weekly survey that non-leadership students can fill out. I would also assign, once a week, to have the people in leadership talk to other non-leadership students in their same grade. Each leadership student would ask 2 other students questions from the survey. This would ensure that we get feedback from many different students outside of Leadership.

What, in your opinion, are the three most important issues facing students at Armijo High School and how will you address them?

As a Freshman, I believe that the three most important issues facing students are motivation to participate at events, meeting new people, and safety. We put up many different events for the students in Armijo and it is a shame when not many people show up to them. I especially notice that not a lot of freshman attend these events. This may also be due to the lack of availability these people have. I propose that we can motivate more people to go to our events through increased propaganda in the broadcast and at school. We can also add a calendar in the school website that has the dates of our events. This can help more students plan their agendas. I realize that dates are hard to finalize and are finicky at times so we can fix this by updating the calendar when necessary. The students at Armijo would also receive an email that the calendar has been updated so they are notified of the changes. We can also have estimated dates instead of exact dates that give a time frame of when the event may take place. This eliminates any commitment to a single date and gives students a general idea of when the event will take place. Another issue that students face is meeting new people. Being a freshman, I know how hard it is to meet new people especially for freshmen. Leadership can put up “meet and greet” events that help students get to know each other. We would have ice-breakers and ask questions that make students reveal their personalities and opinions. Then students can find other students that like the same things as themselves. Finally, the last issue is safety. With school shootings being more and more frequent in the news, the safety of the students becomes a bigger concern. While us as a student leadership body cannot do much to increase safety measures, we can at least send letters to the district or to other government officials that could increase our safety. In the meantime, we could boost student morale and happiness by letting them know that we care. We could give out goods and pamphlets which express our concern and notify the students that we are in the process of making Armijo a safer place.

What are your top priorities for the position you will hold?

My top priorities are organization, communication, and fundraising. It is my goal this year to keep our class agenda organized and efficient. My fellow officers and I would meet together a day before class meetings and discuss what we would do. As leaders of other leaders, it is our job to show that we are organized and ready to do work. This would influence our class to act the same and become more diligent in completing tasks. Communication is also a priority. Before every meeting, discussions will be held on what can be done in various problems like fundraising. This will allow students to voice their opinion and give their input on what we could do. If I master organization and communication, fundraising should come naturally. We need lots of money to be able to put up our dances and events so fundraising is a big issue. As Class Treasurer, I know how important it is to fill our money quota. By keeping my class engaged in fundraising and have them constantly come up with ideas, we could get lots of money. We can get ideas through the daily discussions then organize the ideas into groups. We then can start to contact the various companies and start a fundraiser going.