Alyza Thornson – Class of 2021

Top of Form

Name: Alyza Thornson
Grade Level: 9th
Years In Leadership: 1

Office position/committee head:

Current – Freshman President
Committee Head 3v3 basketball

Activities:

I was on the cheer team (9th) and I am involved in singing/theatre outside of school (since 2nd grade)

Other important characteristics:

I believe that I am a responsible and kind person. Yes, I know I can procrastinate. Although I do not know many people in high school that don’t. I will get the job done when it is needed. As I mentioned I believe I am also a kind person. We all have people that we do not like but I am open to meeting new people and giving help when needed.

How do you plan to stay connected to make sure students voices are heard:

This ties in a little to being kind. If people do not see that I am nice and open, they will not tell me things. Now I do not mean that I have to be friends with everyone, just be kind. If someone sees that I am open for suggestions then they will tell me their ideas.

Most important issues at Armijo:

The most important issues I see are the line between leadership and non, school spirit and trash . We all know that students who are not involved in leadership do not know much about it. They do not know that we put on many of the events and activities at our school. So, we do not get much input from the outside. This usually results in less attendance as they do not agree with what we do. People also believe that leadership puts on events for themselves. Unfortunately, this is partly true. How often do we plan themes and events based on a school wide opinion? The students need to have a say in what we put on. After all it is for them. Armijo also has a problem with school spirit. No one is involved. It ties in with student input with events. Also a lot of the times, we do not get the word out right. No one pays attention to our posters. They only look at the artsy ones. Students listen to interesting morning broadcast videos,talking about it in the class, a loud lunchtime activity. Music during lunch is very common and should only advertise things like karaoke night. We need crowd involving games, something they haven’t seen. Lastly, Armijo does not have a clean campus. It would help the staff and be better for the students if we clean up the campus every now and then. It could be a pet project, or we could have o hours. If we force leadership students to clean with no benefits they will not do as good of a job.

Top Priorities:

I do not care as much what position I hold. We all work together as one big team. Next year I would like to focus on fundraising, outside student involvement, and getting the class closer.