Nathan Klassen – Class of 2020

Name: Nathan Klassen
Grade Level: 10th
Years in Leadership: 2

What Class Officer or Committee Head Positions have you held in leadership?

Class President 9th
Football Homecoming Night Committee Head 10th

Other Activities you’ve been a part of (Sports, Clubs, Band, Etc)

Cross Country 9th, 10th
Track 9th, 10th
Band 9th, 10th
Volleyball 9th

Community Service

Helping in Sunday School (at Church) 9th, 10th
Operation Christmas Child 9th, 10th
Suisun Valley Harvest Festival 9th, 10th
Nelda Mundy Back to School Bash 9th, 10th
Solano Valley Church Easter Egg Hunt 9th, 10th
Lagoon Valley Trail Run 10th
Rolling Hills Science fair 10th

Other important characteristics about me:

One of my best characteristics is that I am very optimistic. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, and if there ever is a problem I always try finding new, creative ways to solve them. This correlates to my leading because I don’t try to reject things flat out, I always like to find solutions. Another characteristic about me is I like getting involvement from other people, and their concerns voiced. Also when it comes to any school event you can see me there being outgoing and supporting our wonderful events on this campus.

How do you plan to stay connected to students to make sure their voices are heard?

As I said before, I believe a big portion of choices we make as a leadership class should also appeal to the rest of the campus. Most frequently people suggest having a survey or having a suggestion box for any opinions outside of leadership, while I, on the other hand, think the best way to get things done would be to go out and ask students myself about their opinions. As a leader trying to get someone else’s input I believe we should reach out to them rather than have them come to us.

What, in your opinion, are the three most important issues facing students at Armijo High School and how will you address them?

In my opinion, the 3 main concerns students at Armijo High school are safety, sanitary, and stress. One of the issues for a lot of teens across the nation currently is safety. Although I cannot make any big settlements/reforms in the government, I think some small steps that can be taken for students are metal detectors and amped up security/ officers. Metal detectors at entrances into the football field and gym will make sporting events a lot safer. More security officers will hopefully prevent any chance of dangerous activity to stay away from our school. How could I try to make these reforms? I believe that simply by asking our administration and seeing their view on safety, and bringing our concerns to the table can go a long ways! The second issue I would like to talk about is sanitary, which basically just goes along the lines of how dirty our campus can get sometimes. Our janitors work very hard to keep our school clean but as an officer, I will try to make a committee to also do a monthly clean of the school. Also people complain about not having soap in bathrooms, but again I believe that the best way to get things done is to ask. Finally, the last issue I will talk about is stress. Stress is a current tension that a lot of high schoolers feel, a lot of the time. I think one of the best solutions is to plan great events that can take students’ minds off of school work and focus on going to a football game or something of the sort. To make these events be at such a great standard would, first of all, make them safe, and second of all get input from the whole campus, rather than confine it to just kids in leadership, on what would make events more appealing.

What are your top priorities for the position you will hold?

As a Junior class officer, one of my top priorities is making our class feel accomplished with the events we put on. The two events that mainly come to mind are homecoming and prom. I will put forth a lot of my effort to make both of those events be spectacular, to have everyone wanting to go and participate!