Feb 2018 Sibling Spotlight | Similar Lives, Unique Goals

Two sophomores, Khaleel and Khileemah Miggins, are twins. Khaleel was born first, at 9:42 am, but Khileemah was just a minute behind. They both turn 16 on Saturday, March 3.

“Having a brother on campus is great because my brother and I are best friends and were always together,” said Khileemah. “If we’re not in the library, then we’re on campus.”  

Khaleel said, “She and I have a brother-sister thing. She means the world to me and she’s always there for me when I need her.”

Khileemah said that they used to keep their relationship “on the down low because people would say, ‘oh, you’re Khaleel’s sister.’ or ‘oh, you’re Khileemah’s brother.” They siblings have three classes together this year and share all of their teachers except P.E. and Math.

For Khileemah, the worst thing about sharing the campus with Khaleel is that they sometimes find themselves arguing. “When my brother and I argue, people always laugh because they think it’s funny. In sixth period we would always argue.”

Throughout the years they have gone to the same schools: Fairview and Cleo Gordon Elementary, Walnut Creek Intermediate, Grange Middle School and now Armijo High School. “My mother wants us to [go to the same college] but [Khileemah] wants to do her own thing,” said Khaleel. If they do end up going to the same college, Khaleel said that she hopes the schools are close. They both want to go to another state for school.

“I want to get out-of-state, go to school and become a nurse and travel to islands and third-world countries,” said Khileemah. She sees herself building homeless shelters for those that don’t have anything, and helping people get clean water. Currently, though, she likes to spend her time playing basketball if she has nothing else to do. “If I am not in school, I’m training, helping out at the North Bay Hospital, helping kids in need or visiting young people with special needs,” she said.

Khaleel is headed in a different direction. “My sister and I have different things we want to do,” he said. “I want to do engineering and designing.”  They probably won’t end up at the same college, but he expects that they will “get together and see how we been have been doing, having friends and family and pretty much reuniting” regularly to touch base, he said.

Currently, he enjoys “baseball, football, and being a track star.” He said that, for fun, he likes to “play video games and sports and try to get good grades.” He is a member of the College & Career Club and is also interested in firefighting.

Khileemah is very active, too. “I am involved with softball, basketball, track, and Future Medical Club,” she said.

The Rashid Miggins twins have a younger sister, an eight-year-old named Wajihah.