Colleges welcome athletes

On Wednesday, February 7, four student athletes signed letters of intent during the National Letter of Intent Signing ceremony at lunch in the gym.

Nadiah Martinez, who played on the Girls’ Soccer team, is committing to playing for Chico State. She loves the campus and participated in several of camps there. Her sister, Jazmine Carranza currently plays for the Wildcats up in Chico.

Mikeila Martinez, teammates with Nadiah on the soccer team, is headed to Concordia University in Nebraska. Surprisingly, she admits to loving the cold weather but also says that she also loves the athletic facilities at the university.

Jesse Mercado received an athletic scholarship for playing on the Armijo High School Football team. He is the first student at the Public Safety Academy to receive a scholarship for sports. He plans to attend Sac State next year and play for the Hornets.

Last but not least, Abigail Wood, also a player on the soccer team, signed up with the University of Pacific.

Armijo Soccer coach Brad Burzynski and Football coach Anthony Gonzalez, as well as other school staff, are very proud of their athletes. The students are all very relieved that the stress of acceptance letters is off their shoulders and look forward to their bright futures!