Nov 2017 | Teacher Feature | Who’s the man inside E-2?

For the past seven years, Lt. Col Edward Bruce has been teaching Aerospace Science, also known as ROTC, at Armijo. He said that he loves working with the kids and that, every day, he’s excited to come to school and teach. What he likes most about Armijo are the staff and the great support from the administration, but mostly the students because they’re what make Armijo a great place.

When the job at Armijo came open, he took the opportunity. He had always enjoyed teaching and hoped that students would be able to get something from him. Lt. Col Bruce’s philosophy is “I want you to become the best person you can be, and the best way you can do that is with the best education you can get, and that’s my job.”

If he could change anything at the campus, he said it would be the facilities. The buildings are old and they have been overworked and overused. He said that new facilities would make a better learning environment for the students.

Lt. Col. Bruce pursued his own education in the United States Air Force Academy and graduated from there as a Second Lieutenant with a Bachelor’s degree in Science and Management. He then earned his Master’s Degree from Webster University He had originally joined the Air Force because he wanted to fly airplanes and he enjoyed every minute when he was flying them. After 22 years in the United States Air Force, Lt. Col. Bruce decided to become an instructor for ROTC. Actually, it was something he had wanted to do for a long time. He retired from the Air Force in 2000. Before he became a teacher at Armijo Lt. Col Bruce used to teach Japan airline pilots how to fly in the Napa Airport.

Some of the things that Lt. Col Bruce enjoys are swimming, reading, and listening to classical music. He also likes to spend time with his wife and his dog.